Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Eight hours and fifteen minutes is not enough

Eight hours and fifteen minutes.

That's how much time my son is in preschool each week. Two hours and forty-five minutes, three mornings a week. For a little boy who is almost five years old with a mom who is, quite frankly, burnt out on trips to the park and mommy-and-me classes it's not really enough time. During the remaining weekday hours the poor child watches Dinosaur Train while I take a shower, tags along with me on errands, helps me prep dinner, helps me check out books to kids in the South H Elementary library and basically has been my constant sidekick for the past 4.5 years. We're tight.

He's a typical third child, unabashedly spoiled. The mother that I was to my girls when they were his age is disgusted with me. Sometimes I let him watch more than a half hour of TV. Sometimes we skip lunch and just eat snacks all day. Sometimes we eat our crumbly, messy snacks on the couch even. Sometimes I might nod off for a few minutes on the couch while he does a puzzle. My grocery bill will dramatically shrink once I don't take him shopping with me and overlook the foot long fruit rolls he dumps into the cart among other items he can't live without. Items my older two children have never even tasted.

And sometimes I let him use the scissors to cut the wrapper of the foot long fruit rolls into tiny pieces. Then I let him take all the pillows off the couch and spread the little pieces of paper all over his "jumpy house." I proceed to snap some photos before I slap myself of the head and take away the scissors.






Perhaps I should suck it up and take him to a gymnastics class or something with safety mats and where they don't let the kids jump with scissors.

And speaking of child safety... I am thinking of Faking My Blog. You should too.


13 comments:

Susie said...

Sy is my first and I already think these things about ore-school. I'm glad you took pictures before ruining the kids fun. Everyone knows it's way cooler to jump with scissors...

Naomi said...

Marinka is hysterical!

I say let the little dude have at it ... life is too short .... your time with him IS precious (even if it means him tossing crap in the cart that you dont know about until the checkout lane).

I hear you though on the 3rd child -- I watched my parenting decline through each kiddo ... but my 3rd thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread, so it's all good!

OHmommy said...

"unabashedly spoiled" I like that. My 3rd child is just that.

I am reading the biography of Grace Kelly right now and she had three children. It's so fun to read because her three children, in their birth order, are so similar to mine.

Marinka said...

I don't know why they bother teasing us with those school hours. other than to make us insane. And the kids adorably bouncy.

mosey along said...

I can't remember now how I followed you here.... anymommy maybe?

Anyway, you are speaking directly to me this time last year when my daughter was in daycare 15 hours a week and I was laughably trying to work a full-time freelance job in those 15 hours. Thank goodness for kindergarten this year.

Congrats also on doing Project 365. I gave up without even trying, but may give it a go next year. Or maybe I'll start it Feb 1 and call it Project 334.

Heather said...

but just think of the awesome tagline he could have when he blogs as an adult.

"jumping with scissors since 2010"

Heck he could even name his blog "Jumps with Scissors"

Okay, I kid....but no worries, I think you are supposedly allowed to spoil those 3rd children-that must be why we don't have one. ;OP

Sophie, Inzaburbs said...

Yeah, I think my three year old tasted his first lollipop the same day as my 7 year old. What can I say? Several years down the line, we get tired.

Preschool is overrated. They let them nap there. Which is why I am typing this at 9pm with a three year old in my lap. And yes, I did let him get up...

Issas Crazy World said...

The joy of the third kid. Ahem.

Next year friend, he'll go to school. Then? You'll miss him. Not the mess, but him. :)

~Laura said...

I love your line about how the mother I was to my girls is disgusted with me. You just summed up how I feel perfectly! Almost like 2 different mothers-one way to my twins and another one to my third baby.

butwhymommy said...

Um Bunny's my first and I'm getting so lax with what I let her do. You want to what? Ok go ahead.

Preschool is hard, you get this taste of freedom and you want more. But you have to wait until next year.

Dearheart said...

Funny! The jumping with scissors pics remind me of the old Virginia Slims ads: "You've come a long way, baby!"

anymommy said...

He is adorable. I agree. That's too short. My five year olds will go to five day pre-K next year, you've convinced me.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I'm embarrassed to say that I've been doing half of that stuff (particularly TV and snacking) from the beginning. I blame the fact that I was a working mom for four years. Not that all working moms are slackers - just ones like me who have a hard time keeping things organized at home with I'm preoccupied with office stuff. Now I'm a SAHM - but we're stuck in some bad patterns... I feel a few New Year's resolutions coming on...